Thursday, March 5, 2009

METALLICA DEATH MAGNETIC WORLD TOUR 2009


I first came across Metallica when I downloaded a live performance of Fade to Black. Watching Kirk Hammett's melodic guitar solos made me see the instrument in a whole new light - until then I'd just been playing chords on it. Lots of people cite Metallica as the reason why they learnt to play guitar - it was certainly one of my reasons.

And so about ten years on, I finally saw them live at the O2 Arena. There is no experience quite like it I swear. These guys are living legends, and that night they delivered the best of their 30 years of music with authority.

We were lucky to get really close to the stage. Of course that came with a price - it also meant that we were embroiled in the mosh pit where the most insane fans held sway. Which meant being battered and elbowed by hordes of crazy headbanging sweaty big-sized guys as everyone attempted to outmuscle each other to get to the front. At some point I managed to get to the 2nd row, and was promptly pushed away by this huge towering dude.

There is nothing quite like watching classics like Master of Puppets and One live. I could even see Kirk's fingering as he played the Master of Puppets solo, running through the exact notes that I'd played myself many a lazy afternoon at home in Bedok. Not to mention the fact that they were the very songs that accompanied me through my O and A-levels. Touching moments indeed!

When we emerged from the arena we all looked like we just fought a war. It was pretty physical alright. But aside from the back and neckaches and ringing ears I also managed to get a guitar pick (from Rob Trujillo's hands) that will be a reminder of the night I watched the greatest metal band that ever lived.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home