Saturday, May 12, 2007

Story of my voice

I have a really deep radio talk show host voice now. how did I get it? It all started when I fell sick last wednesday, popped pills and then recovered just in time for the medicine interview. So i thought I'd recovered, and celebrated with a bag of potato chips, which quickly ensured that my sore throat would make a comeback on Tuesday. It apparently didn't bother me, cos I then went ahead and had cajun chicken and wedges at Aerin's on Wednesday, aggravated it with fries, garlic crusted dory and a mud ooze on Thursday and finished off my vocal chords yesterday by screaming my head off at Rock AC. It is hence a miracle that I can still talk today.

Aerin's. I'd been waiting to eat there for a loong time now ever since the dainty fountain caught my eye. So I went with Dior and ordered a cajun chicken, while she had grilled snapper, and we shared the trademark dish, apple rhubarb pie or something like that. The cajun chicken tasted almost exactly like how it's done downstairs art eBlackBoard, only more chicken-ey. But at 3 times the price, there's no question who I'll be running to for my cajun chicken fix from now.
wow this new keyboard's really nice to type on.
Anyways the apple rhubarb pie was good, but in all honesty nothing to write home about. Clarity's mud ooze- now that's something to write home about, maybe even deliver one back in an express package. I believe that it was possibly the mud ooze that was solely responsible for the pitiful state my voice is in now. More on that later.
It's been ages since I last met Dior. I didn't know she had a boyfriend! But she didn't know about my relationship that came and went either, so we're even. Aerin's is an overall nice place to dine at I suppose, but the bill for that evening came up to $58. go figure.

Now seeing as the slightly burnt chicken, potato wedges and dessert had failed to deal any significant damage to my throat, I decided to put it to the test at Miss Clarity's Cafe the next day. That would be my fourth trip. The dilemma I was faced with involved whether or not to indulge myself in a piping hot Mud Ooze, and in a moment of sheer courage I'd resolved to forego it that evening. But when Benison (yes, he was serving us) came around to take orders, I just had to. Mumbo jumbo (fries with cheese, black pepper sauce and sausages - shiok!), garlic-crusted dory and a mud ooze proved too much for my throat to handle, and I found myself booming at everyone in this really low voice for the rest of the evening.

I tried to salvage the situation Friday morning, by inhaling snake grass water and wintermelon tea. This provided a little respite for my poor battered throat, but the worst was yet to come.
I went for the MOE interview at 3:40, somehow managing to remain absolutely calm all the way, which is really unusual when it comes to me and interviews. I met this really nice ACJC girl, Nadine while waiting. So we talked while time went way past our scheduled interview times. By the time I went in it was half an hour past the scheduled time of 4pm.
It was way harder than I'd imagined. They asked questions on MOE's policies and the direction Singapore's education system was heading. I curry favoured all the way, while my voice gradually degenerated. I stumbled out of the room in a daze, feeling very little of the tide of relief that always accompanies the end of an interview. But at least it was over, and from that point on I could not care less if I could only manage a croak. Which incidentally was more or less all i was capable of doing. Which is not a good thing when you are going to attend a concert.

I headed for ACJC after dinner and sneaking a quick glimpse at the old RJ campus. It looks nice and lived-in now, and since Dunman people are all really nice, i'm sure the building is in good hands. Anyway, the concert. I was supposed to meet up with Clarissa whom I've never met before. So even though she'd stated very clearly where she was, i somehow managed to make eye contact with her and then walk right past. She must have a brilliant first impression of me now. So anyway we went up to the hall where everything seemed hip and happening as expected. We met up with Charlene-who was looking totally punk rock-for a brief moment before going in. She was totally oozing confidence this time, all fired up and ready to go. And when it was her turn to go on she went out there in full force. And basically put on a wonderful show. The irony, like she pointed out, was that back when she was a bundle of nerves, the audience was supportive and all that; now that she's all fired up, the audience is dead. I screamed my head off inside, but I don't think I was audible at all. Anyway she makes us so proud. Pretty darn smoking hot (:; I'm sorry we were such a miserable audience though.
The second band sucked, period. The other items weren't even bands. But it was still a decently crazy evening, even without my voice..

and that concludes a week of laryngeal masochism. it was real fun while it lasted though (:

1 Comments:

Blogger -nik- said...

hello! =) wheres ur tagboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


RAWR

May 16, 2007 at 12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home