Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Filming weekend day two

I dragged myself out of bed at 6am and reached TPJC at 730. Daniel owes me one, big time.

Today's shoot was going to be in the LT, a scene which involved a Math test during which the teacher would steal glances at Wei Tian. I was really confused about the plot at this point. But anyway, no more impromptu flirting, thank goodness.

More people came today to swell the ranks of the extras. On top of Jonathan, WW, Jacq, Ching Yi, Roslyn and Cai Xiang from yesterday, there were a couple more TPJCians (?) - Justine and Hui Yi, the guys from OSC - Xuan, Jay, Colin and Henry, and a couple of Ah Hui's friends. There was also Karen, this British lady who played the part of the teacher. She remarked that Ah Hui was an outstanding director, very sensitive to detail, gives his actors room to express themselves. I totally agree with the latter.

Being an extra is unglam through and through. A lot of people asked me why I bothered to go, to which I just replied "help friend mah." I think the impossibly nice people here were the peeps from TPJC. I mean, they didn't even know anyone from the cast or crew. And if it wasn't for them, I would have just died/evaporated from boredom.

Evening. I bode farewell to everyone, exchanged Hitler salutes with Daniel for good measure and headed down to Baybeats. Met Tov, had a quick dinner at O'Brien's, and made it down to Esplanade just in time to catch this China band with a North Korean drummer. The music was great, but the "Sank you", "socking to myself" and "you gais ah faaking awsum" kept me from taking them seriously.

Next up was this self-indulgent local band who forgot to tune their guitars. Nothing much by way of music, but the crowd went surprisingly wild this time. The bodysurfers, moshers and exhibitionists all came out of the woodwork. The mosh pit looked particularly tempting, but it wouldn't have been nice to leave Tov behind. The third act was a band with vaguely Muse-eque vocals, which Tov enjoyed a lot. And finally, a pretty decent band from Malaysia/Indonesia with American accents and a Jack Black lookalike for a singer. That was when we decided to call it a night. Turns out that the two bands that I enjoyed weren't local. tragic innit?

It's been a while since a good hard rock band graced this part of the world. I say hard rock because I know metal would be wishful thinking. Sometimes I pass Fort Canning Hill, look up and think of the chaos that once engulfed that place. And how I ventured into the pit and moshed with the best of them in RJ uniform, bag and all. Good times.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home