Friday, November 9, 2007

I am jack's complete lack of surprise

Watched "Fight Club-A Chorus" last night with Hong Ying. I thought it incorporated some really novel concepts in there, but I also have my complaints.

The cool part was that they didn't just break the fourth wall, they smashed it in with a sledgehammer. For instance, most of the performers were planted in the audience, and they'd suddenly stand up and make their way up front. Some of them interacted with the audience, talking to them and giving out strips of paper which read "don't believe in everything you're told". At one point, after they had recited Jack's haikus, some of the people in the audience even received SMSes of the said haiku. I thought that was awesome. Pity that particular experience was limited to only friends of the performers. (waiwan forgot me HAHA) I also thought they did a good job of exporting quotes from Fight Club and transplanting them in a local context. Waiwan reminded me of Yen Chin when he did his monologue!

I was rather displeased with the word for word recital of every quote in the book. I was like, puh-lease, let's see some originality. Okay every now and then is fine; in fact it was quite essential. But the word-for-word recitals of Jack's recall coordinator monologue and the introduction to Tyler Durden's jobs were just painful to watch. And I thought it was rather ironic that after the whole explosion of frankness and catharsis of inner materialism, the show ended, they took their bows and promptly returned to their all-singing-all-dancing-crap-of-the-world selves with the rest of us. (So did Brad Pitt and Edward Norton by the way, but I'm just saying it becomes more apparent here.)
---
Been reading through my old blog and I can barely recognise myself. Every now and then I'd chance across something as inexplicable as this:

HAPPY DAY
I failed chem!!! first time fail chem. the only other sub i fail b4 was geog. hm worse things might lie ahead. We shall see.
I love guitar. I love 3F. RJ guitar + 1SO3F 2004 forever! it's good to be back in sch ^^
as for art club, no comment -_-*
and jazz...well ive only been for 3 sessions. then my finger disallowed me to go. hope mark doesnt kill me for this.
Current Mood: psyched up
Music:crickets chirping

I'd just got 30/100 for chem and I was in lysergic bliss. I was pretty cheerful about the whole broken finger episode too:

"my grandma n auntie juz visited in the morn to inspect my finger...then they gave respective accounts of their own fractured-hand experiences. I feel slightly better abt my finger now i guess =Þ
lazy sunday afternoon. gonna draw a comic later. i'll put it online if i complete it."

"I just experienced the latest in medical technology yesterday. It involves putting your hand in a machine full of swirling crushed walnut shells at 50 degrees celsius. It's called Fluido. Bizarre.
Beginning to enjoy physio =) now that the therapists Andrew and Jolene are now my buddies..."

You'd think that there were funnier things than jeopardizing an appendage on your body:

"I woke up this morning to find that I WAS LYING ON MY FINGERRR. It might be bent out of shape liao! haha"

..and it gets better:

Broken Finger Survival Guide
Hey kids ^_^* If you ever break your little finger during a basketball match during P.E....don't fret! I have all the answers you've been looking for!
=================THE ESSENTIAL BROKEN FINGER SURVIVAL GUIDE==========================
ver 1.0
by Kangwen
DISCLAIMER: some of the following methods are highly unorthodox and have not been medically proven. Use at your own risk. The author shall not be held responsible for any resulting consequences such as permanent dismemberment or paralysis.
A. GENERAL
1. Drink lots of milk. Buy a carton and gobble it down in one sitting. (like i did during ORA fun fair) Then your doctor can't blame you for insufficient calcium intake.
2. Wear an arm-sling. It reduces the swell in your finger. It also encourages ppl to keep away from ur finger.
(warning...might entice ppl to terrorize you as well...and put ur finger in danger..depending on who u r)
B. PRE-SURGERY
1. Don't change up into ur surgical robes just yet when they tell u to. U'll have to wait at least another 3 hours. Otherwise u'll have to suffer the extreme cold and perhaps extend ur stay in the hospital for pneumonia treatment.
C. DURING SURGERY (local anaesthesia)
1. Eavesdrop on the surgeons' conversations. They can prove to be very educational.
2. Try to imagine what is being done to ur finger. quite interesting. Effective in overcoming the monotony of the hour-long operation.
D. POST-SURGERY
1. Cherish the way they pamper you. You don't even have to walk from point A to point B. Let the wheelchairs and nurses do all the work.
2. A tissue dispenser and a pen can work wonders. Put that time to good us. Draw your hospital ward.
3. yeah they mean it when they say mobilize ur finger immediately. Try to move it.
E. REHABILITATION (occupational therapy)
The painkillers they administer do not work. But don't be disheartened. There are several home-made alternatives.
1. Listen to heavy-metal music while doing your exercises. This induces your adrenal glands to release adrenaline, which is a natural painkiller.
2. Sing a song and bend your finger to its rhythm. A good choice would be 'ten little indian boys'
3. do a war cry. same scientific principal as 1.
4. scream
========================================
=============================================
may or may not update, depending on whether my finger eventually survives the above methods.

more LSD-induced posts:

"YES! they're removing the wires next tues!
and there's no operation! The doc said "Nah we're just going to use plyers to tweeze'em out. That's why we left them sticking out like that."
whee! more marcaaaaaaaaaine...
Current Mood:
psychotic

and the gripping finale:

"aftemath *graphic detail*
30 days after the operation, the k-wires have finally come out.
My whole family rushed down to NUH first thing in the morning. appt was at 9. After a routine x-ray, i was back in that same ol' clinic i'd been going in and out of for a month. Familiar faces all around. They kicked things off with 2 marcaine shots. Then they began.
My finger was numb by the time Jonathan got to work on my finger. He made light work of the first 4 wires, since they were fixated straight through the bone. Each time i felt a jerk..could actually tell that something was being pulled out of my finger but there was no pain. At this point i sneaked a glimpse of the wires he had pulled out. Surprisingly clean, save for a fleck of skin on it.
But the third one was quite tricky, since it was bent and was fixated horizontally, with 2 hooked ends protruding out of either side of the finger.
He wrestled with it for quite a while before breaking off one of the hooked ends to avoid infection when he pulled it out from the other end. But pulling it out was tricky business since my ring finger was obstructing.
"I wish i had 2 right hands," he said through gritted teeth.
hmm how should i describe this? there was blood everywhere...on his gloves, on the pliers, on the sheet of paper underneath. And of course, all over my fingers. A huge blob of blood had formed around the wire, and more was oozing out of the other 2 wounds above. At this point he attempted to bend my finger, with the last wire still inside. It felt weird lor...him manhandling my finger and i was bleeding everywhere and i couldnt feel a thing.
He resumed work on the finger and somehow managed to pull the last one out. i dunno how cos i had turned away again. Yay...done. A nurse had it cleaned up and applied some antibiotic on the wounds. I could actually see the 3 holes clearly now on either side.
ok so tt was how the procedure went...im surprised at how they can just pull it out...after all the wires had been fixated through holes drilled into my bone. So the bone would have grown ard it after all. and the wires should be in pretty tight. i dunno lah...
Its gonna be okay real soon..i can feel it in my bones. (cue: laughter)
dont mind me. its the anaesthetic again."

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home