Wednesday, November 7, 2007

This is how army policy began

1. Start with a cage containing five apes. In the cage, hang a banana on a string and put stairs underneath it. Before long, an ape will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the Banana. As soon as he touches the stairs, spray all of the apes with cold water.
2. After a while, another ape makes an attempt with the same result - all the apes are sprayed with cold water.Continue until, when another ape tries to climb the stairs, the other apes try to prevent it.
3. Now, turn off the cold water. Remove one ape from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new ape sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his horror, all of the other apes attack him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted.
4. Next, remove another one of the original five apes and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm.
5. Again, replace a third original ape with a new one. The new one makes it to the stairs and is attacked as well. Two of the four apes that beat him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs, or why they are participating in the beating of the newest ape.
6. After replacing the fourth and fifth original apes, all the apes which were sprayed with cold water have been replaced. Nevertheless, no ape ever again approaches the stairs.
Why not?
"Because that's the way it's always been around here."
That's how Army policy began.
------
The entire run-up to the Linkin Park concert has been pretty bizarre for me and my sis. Every now and then she'd ask me "eh when is the Linkin Park concert again ah? We gotta remember to collect the tickets" and I'd say "I don't know". To which she'd reply "Remind me why we're going to watch again?"

We aren't fans of LP but they do have a special place in our hearts, since we discovered them long before the rest of the world did. That's why we're going to watch them play anyway next Tuesday. The last time they came around, we were camping around on the outskirts listening for free. Imagine gazing at the moon in the middle of the Padang, having Linkin Park play noisy metal music not more than 200m away. Oh and I was studying Physics. Very surreal.
------
Libin, who's been studying in the states for more than a year now, tells me that studying in the States is BORING. This coming from a guy who lived in Singapore for six years! Maybe Singapore is more happening than I thought. Or maybe not.

Jacq asked me the other day what my favourite country was. I dunno why I said Singapore. I felt kind of silly after saying that! Most of my friends would give anything to uproot and run away somewhere else. But then it's so easy to hate Singapore, when you haven't actually experienced life elsewhere. But anyway, I gave it further thought and yes, I think Switzerland and Korea have been two of the most overall charming places I've been to. It'd be nice to retire in one of these places one day. Or New Zealand. why am I even thinking about retirement! right now revisiting Europe with friends would be very nice.
------
EDIT: Okay I'm so friggin bored in office I decided to transcribe the lyrics to "Maria", the most politically incorrect song my SIP has ever written. Here goes:

Maria
Impromptu Lyrics by: Chee Keen

my name is maria
i come from philippines
i work as a maid
to send money home

i come to singapore
to work for my master
i want the money
because i have no ??

my name is maria
and i come from philippines
my name is maria
i work alone

my name is maria
i have to wash the clothes
i like to boil water
my sir say i lazy

my mum say i steal her money
actually its true
but i send the money
to the philippines

my name is maria
and i come from philippines
my name is maria
i work alone


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home