Thursday, January 17, 2008

our time to reminisce

I know, I'm on this inexplicable Romeo & Juliet drawing kick right now. This was an experiment in different textures using different brushes - for this one all the brushes used were preset..I should go and download a bunch of new brushes soon. They make all the difference sometimes.

1 more day to ORD, after which it's time to get on with my life again. Pick up where I left off two years ago. I can still remember the night before enlistment day-I was getting butterflies in my tummy at the prospect of two years of uncertainty. I'd spent a good deal of my time mentally psyching myself up for it all. I needn't have bothered, because 1) there was nothing I could have done to prepare myself for BMT 2) if I said my NS stint was gruelling, I'd be lying.

Okay, so BMT did come with its challenges. But once you get used to the regimentation and the "wait to rush, rush to wait" nature of it all, the rest is a walk in the park. Getting to fire guns and lob a grenade were particularly gratifying. I especially loved how it made us appreciate the little things like those precious moments in the bunk where we stole a few moments reclining on the bed, or helping each other massage our tired shoulders during route march, or the sanctity of good sleep, and especially the sheer thrill of counting down the days till bookout. And who could forget field camp! When we were put under the mercy of nature - and even the supernatural as we were taught to respect these forces. I also marveled at surreal moments such as watching a tracer round go off, illuminating the night in brilliant red; firefly gazing outfield, and listening to the Cranberries sing about guns and bombs on the radio as I waited for my grenade throw. I live for surreal moments like these!

We would soon be released from Tekong, with a caveat that unit life would be even tougher. Turned out to be quite the contrary. It was an office job with generally nice (but oddball) regulars, and the best bunch of NSFs you'll ever meet. When they said you'd meet your best friends in army, this is what they were talking about.

And so two years on from that night I spent agonising over the unknown, well, I really can't say nothing's changed, cos so much has changed - both in myself and the circumstances around me. I'm just happy to say I've gotten a good break from studies and now I'm ready to go again. Some people say NS is a waste of time..for me I'd say it was time well wasted.

I just posted another guitar video on Youtube. This one is quite pointless, I promise you, but if there is one good reason why you should watch it it's because..well okay so there isn't any. But I do like the lighting on my left arm.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home