Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Documented effects of alcohol

I have long been fascinated by the many reasons people give for the use of alcohol and its ramifications. Jacq sent me this site the other day that stated 51% of consumers do so for the taste - which came as a surprise seeing as I tend to find it rather foul-tasting despite numerous attempts to convince myself otherwise. I personally suspect that 50% of these people are lying. Merely backwards rationalising as a means to explain that night of binging that led to say, belly dancing on the bartop. I mean, no sane individual would risk such an eventuality for a sensory experience he didn't even enjoy, right?

Wrong. I think peer pressure has an enormous lot to do with it. Drinking is almost mandatory in social situations - a phenomenon that probably grew over time as more and more people succumbed to it. It is indeed hard to say no to a group of merrymakers riding on a high and manhandling you should you decline. Which was more or less what happened the other night at OSC chalet - there were I think 3 or 4 bottles of Absolut Vodka, a bottle of chivas, some beer and a couple bottles of wine. And I used to think that vodka tasted best with lime - now I know orange juice does an even more effective job of concealing the taste. A cup of 50-50 mix and I could barely tell.

And so that was how it went - Mr Tan playing the devil's incarnate, mixing drinks for everyone and assuring them it was pure juice. Sara was particularly high, basically providing the night's entertainment as he went around manhandling people and - for some reason - obsessive-compulsively spreading butter on the BBQ chicken wings. 3 cups of vodka orange and a mug of green tea chivas later, they decided to make me join this dubious drinking game that involved a die. I wrestled free of their grip, ran upstairs and locked myself up in a room. There was so much alcohol on the table and so few people left - nothing good could come out of this!

Documented Effect of Alcohol #1 (Positive)

Sara left his watch behind, so Colin messaged him about it. This was his reply (still under the effects of vodka):
"Ah dei yes yes the watch is of paramount importance, a tool denoting time, and time is the Lord's constraint on mankind. Live as we may, but within the time given to us. After which, we shall join him and seek a new life."
When later contacted about it, Sara said that no, there's no way he could ever come up with something remotely as philosophical when he's sober. We advised him to drink his way to Oxford philosophy - he might even make it to the Dean's list.

Documented Effect of Alcohol #2 (Negative)

After 2 hours of hiding in the room, I noticed that they'd quietened down outside so I went out to check. Zehan was curled up beside a pool of his own puke, Simon and Soon Heng were feeling woozy and Kannan had concussed in his car. Pure devastation! I learnt one thing though: those who endeavour to stay sober have to clean up after those who don't

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home