Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Sojourn


It's no secret that I have this thing for orientation camps. Maybe I happen to be a very disorientated person.

By the time this one came around, however, I was already pretty tired of camping. Serves me right. Good thing the camp was slow-paced, giving us bonding time rather than be engaged in activities which ultimately have little value in forging friendships. It's hard not to realise that when you've been to 4 camps. Take Union Camp for example. We may have worked well as a team, sometimes getting really intimate with each other in the process, but we never really got to know each other.

At the end of the first day I went over to New Majestic Hotel for Colin's farewell/birthday bash. The suite was fantastic. (and a tad kinky) Two storeys - a TV and two bathtubs right smack in the middle of the first storey, and a bed on the second. The toilet and shower doors were only ever so slightly frosted. Colin had his hands full all night, flitting here and there like a hummingbird in an attempt to divide his attention equally among all groups. Sara was no end of entertaining.

Woke up early the next day to reunite with the campers. We played amazing race - not all that remarkable but fun nonetheless. Charles, Daniel and I ran off after the finale that night to watch Liverpool vs Middlesborough at Bikini Bar. We caught the last twenty minutes of the game, just in time to see Liverpool work its magic in coming back from a 1-0 deficit in the space of..5min? We then rejoined the OG for a trip to 7-eleven. While they played drinking games, the 3 of us decided to be antisocial again and made our way to the beach at 530am. We talked mostly about our future in PUB, till the sun rose. I tried to catch some last min sleep and failed, so I joined another OG for a round of lame camp games. (at which, I must add, I am a veteran) It would be the last time I played one of those for a long time. School's starting soon.

In all the previous camps, I'd feel this constant sense of detachment and resignation to the fact that I'd leave all those friendships behind when i left. Sojourn stood out from the other camps in this one respect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home